Thursday, April 26, 2012

...connections...

What did we do before cell phones??

I know I grew up without them.  But it still makes it hard to imagine.  Waiting for someone somewhere, having no idea if they forgot or are running late and having to wait to get home and call to find out what happened.  Getting done early and needing a ride.  Seeing something FUNNY and having no way to share it with anyone....  What did we do way back when?  When I was growing up, no one had cell phones.  Maybe business people were just getting the GIANT ones that they kept in the car and were stored in a suitcase.  Remember those?  But most people just had home phones.

I, for one, love technology.  I should probably be thankful I didn't have iphones, texting, facebook back in the day because I would have been an online junky!  I just love people and I love to be connected.  I wrote letters like crazy back then - trying to stay connected to camp friends that lived far away.  Letters!  Who does that now?  There's something cool about letters - but really, how amazing is it we can stay connected like we do, so easily??  I LOVE IT.

Lots of people seem to be either embarrassed of facebooking or they hide it.  I love it.  I'm not on there all day.... but I do check it several times!  And I am not ashamed.  I love the fact I feel connected to people I never see.  People from the past or people from a moment in my life - but we're still connected.  I love it that as a stay at home mom, I feel like I am interacting.  Granted, it doesn't replace face to face or talking. I would MUCH rather do that.  But it still fills a need.

Last Tuesday, my mom watched my boys.  I had 4 meetings in a row.  A couple hard, but all very good.  Face to face meetings, full of real relationship, doing life.  And at the end of the day I was exhausted!!  But boy, was I also filled up!!  Emotionally and relationally I was loving it!!  I was thinking, "This is what my  heaven will be like!!  Meeting with people all day, every day!!"

In the meantime, on those many days I have my 3 littles, and I am at home, without the option to go out and meet with people...  I can still get online.  See what people are up to.  Hear big news.  See smiling faces.  Maybe share a little of myself too.

Here is something I am looking forward to:

Yes, I want to own a smart phone!  I have my little old slide out phone.  Its reliable, I can text super fast on it, the sound is good so I can hear people.  I should not complain.  But I want a smartphone.  Top 2 reasons?  GPS.  I have no sense of direction nor do I like to pay attention to where I'm going, so that would be amazing!  And you can have your starbucks card right on there!  HOW COOL IS THAT????  So someday....  and I can't wait!

All right - there are my ramblings for today!  I didn't really have much to say, but am trying to stay true to my 40 days of posts (though I've missed some - good thing for grace!) 

Wish we could meet for coffee and talk about your phone, and what you think about facebook, and your life.  But in the meantime, since I am home and 2 boys are taking naps and my laundry is out of control and my husband is out of town, I still feel connected to you!  Yay for technology!!

Have a great week!!!!  Until tomorrow...... lotsa love!



No comments:

Post a Comment