Sunday, April 22, 2012

...waffles, delicious waffles...

...yum...
Ok, so this is my first blog that is documenting my new passion about clean food!  I started down this road because of adrenal/thyroid issues that are driving me crazy.  Especially for someone who doesn't want to spend time on food.  Its just never been that important to me.  Hence why I probably have adrenal/thyroid issues!  I really wish God would have made little pills we could take 3 times a day (or even once a month!) with all our nutrition. 

But I am growing in this area!  In the past 5 years, since my first kiddo came along, I have learned to not hate cooking.  I don't love it, but now I don't hate it.

And as I started learning about clean eating for me, it only took a second to realize I want my whole family to be eating what they need, what is good for them, and how they were designed.

Now for a confession - up until a week ago I was making A LOT of frozen waffles and pancakes for my little guys.  My oldest is in pre-K, and this is the first year since he was born that four days a week we have to be somewhere in the morning at a certain time.  I am a stay at home mom, so until this year we've had things scheduled here and there but most mornings we could do whatever.  Enter next season of life:  school!  (that will be our life for the next 20 years...  suppose I'd best embrace it!)

So how to feed these guys?  Make something that they like, and make something that is fast.  In came the frozen breakfasts.

But as I've become a label reader, and have focused on what I need - it became obvious that the frozen breakfasts were NOT the answer....

ALL THAT TO SAY, last week I got a Belgian Waffle Maker.  Twenty bucks at Target.  I combined some easy recipes online that I have gone to town with.  The boys LOVE them.  And you can do all sorts of things.... add protein mix, more flax, green veggie powder, vanilla, cinnamon, frozen berries, bananas.  Anything is possible!

I also make a bunch and freeze them.  They heat up pretty good if you put a cup of water in the microwave when you zap them (keeps them from being hard!)  Tomorrow morning I may even try to heat them up in toaster....  leggo a BETTER waffle! 

RECIPE:

1 and 3/4 cups of whole wheat flour
1 TBS baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup of ground flax seed
2 TBS sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup of canola or veg.oil
1 and 3/4 cups of milk

While waffle iron is heating, mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Batter should be lumpy.

Pour 1/4 - 1/3 cup (may be slightly more or less depending on size of waffle iron) of batter onto waffle iron.

Close the lid of waffle maker and cook for about 4 minutes.

Yay waffles!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment